Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mommy Lesson, No. 1

This is the first post of a new ongoing series of "Mommy Lessons." These lessons are things that I have learned about the heart of God while mothering my kids.

You all know that Cammy is now, as Cade calls it, "On the potty train." Well, due to a couple of immunizations Camden received yesterday, he is having some tummy troubles. So you can only imagine how the last 24 hours of the "D-word" have affected being "on the potty train."

After going to the gym with Daddy tonight, Cammy told me he had "ouchy bottom" and wanted his diaper taken off. He does the best at not having accidents when I just let him be naked from the waist down because there aren't buttons and zippers to contend with --- pretty daring when you are dealing with the "D-word!" I am glad to report that he made it to the toilet just fine to poo-poo the rest of the night, which is a huge feat when you are only two and have the "D-word!"

So back to my mommy lesson --- After the last round of the "D-word," Cammy sought me out and wanted to snuggle. He was still naked and in spite of a recent bath still had that distinctive poo-poo smell about him. I let him crawl up in my lap and with his full body, he just bear-hugged me and laid there for a full contact snuggle. It was awesome. I am a snuggler, so I just simply could not turn him away --- stink or no stink!

As he was laying there and I was rubbing his back this image came to my mind of me crawling into God's lap and just laying there --- fully spent, just soaking up my Father's love --- not realizing that to Him, I probably stink. But like my Heavenly Father I could not turn my child away --- even though Camden was stinky, I snuggled, caressed and enjoyed my baby boy.

How many times have I come to God stinky and dirty from another mess I have gotten myself into and He doesn't turn me away. He scoops me up, loves on me, cleans me up--- all the while loving me with His perfect, unconditional love. I simply cannot fathom such love and I say that while knowing just HOW MUCH I love my own.

Do you truly know how much God loves you? I didn't really KNOW the depth of love that one could experience until I had kids. Yes, I love my husband, my parents, my sisters, but my love for my kids is somehow different and somehow, well, more. So, again I ask you, do you truly KNOW how much God loves you?

More than an earthly mom could possibly love her stinky little boy --- this is quite possibly the best news I've had all day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The picture at the top was taken Christmas 2007 --- I LOVE this picture of Cammy --- Pure Unadulterated Joy. Not many people get to see this side of him since he is quite shy out in public.

2 comments:

Kesleigh Castle said...

Heidi- Shannon sent me your blog. Your kids are so gorgeous and I completely get the God holding us in His arms idea. It's so true and precious. Thank you for writing that. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Ok Heidi, you and me, we swap info...I'll give you all I know about the girlie-girl stuff if you'll give me some insight into your camera knowledge.

Maybe life becomes less cruel?!