Friday, December 12, 2008

"What's that you are wearing?"

I am a mom. A mom with three small children no less, and well, there are just THOSE days. Today was one of them.

Chloe has RSV and a double ear infection right now, so much of my day was spent administering medicine and breathing treatments. The latter involves me holding her, a 9 month old, with a mask over her face as she breathes the steroids that are being pumped through. This process takes about 20 minutes, so it is no wonder that most of the damage done today, was ever 4 hours in 20 minute stretches. Boy are kids smart. Boy are boys messy. Whether you are on the phone, on the toilet, or attached to a nebulizer --- they know exactly when to strike!


Well, I did have to venture out to the grocery store for a few things so I packed everyone up and set out. The kids were actually quite good considering the mayhem they left behind the closed doors of our house!


I was walking down the make-up/fragrance aisle on the way to the checkout line when this lady came up to me. Here is the conversation that ensued:


Strange Lady: "Ma'am, if you don't mind my asking, what is that fragrance you are wearing?"


Me: "Are you talking to me?"


Strange Lady: "Yes, I just had to ask because you smell so wonderful!"


Me: "You are joking right?"


Strange Lady: "No, really, you smell great and I just have to know."


Me: Well, honestly --- I am not wearing any cologne or perfume. I don't think I have worn any in, well, at least 5 years (said while eyeing my almost 5 year old son!)"


Strange Lady: "You're kidding!?!"


Me: "No, and really I haven't even had a shower yet today (the baseball cap and no make-up verify my story) and if you get close enough, you would not believe what I REALLY smell like. Sorry to end your quest for the perfect scent, but the "no-shower, baby-puke-and-spoiled-milk, just-changed-a-poopy-diaper" fragrance has yet to be packaged quite as efficiently as I have done so today! But, I am going to PRETEND that I smell as wonderful as you think!"


Strange Lady: "Well, I guess I was just imagining things!"


Apparently she was! Well, who needs a shower when you have the wonderful scents that accompany motherhood!

No comments: