Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tag, I'm "it"!

I have been tagged by Devin over at Mom's Happy Handful for a random facts meme about myself. Honestly, I had to look up what the heck a 'meme' is (thanks Wikipedia!) because, sadly, I had no idea. (I'd rather come clean up front, than pretend!)

Okay, so, let's move on to a more thrilling subject ---me---!

1. I picked out my married last name 2 years before I had ever met my husband.

The Story: My friend Sarah and I were hanging out one day. Her and I were both aspiring artists at the time, both single and had nothing better to do than scour the phone book as we tried to come up with artist names that would be marketable and memorable. Afterall, I just simply couldn't see someone referring to one of my oil paintings as a "Potts." (As in, "Oh, that is a Picasso, or, that one there is a Potts." I mean it just didn't "do it" for me!) Anyway, so I only made it to the C's before I decided that my new last name would be Cole. About 2 weeks after Matthew and I started dating (almost 2 years after the name picking incident) he emailed me. I remember staring at the email in my inbox --- Matthew COLE --- and thinking no one would ever believe me if I told them this story. So, anyway, it's true, believe it or not!

2. The last time I wet the bed, I was 21!

The Story: I was in college and staying at a friend's house. She had a water bed (yes they still existed in 1992). When I woke up the morning in question, the bed was soaking wet. I proceeded to tell her that her water bed had a leak in it --- only to discover the more I searched for said leak that the sheets reeked of urine. And, it was only wet on my side of the bed --- Busted!

3. I used to want 8 kids --- now, I have come to my senses after only just THREE and realize that I am already grossly outnumbered! THREE kids it is!

4. I used to model for art figure drawing classes as my work study job!

The Story: In college I was an art major. As my work study job I took off my clothes! Don't worry, I was not naked in front of the entire student body. I went to Baylor University, which being a "conservative" Baptist school didn't allow the art models to be nude (and the door was locked so no pervs could wander by). So, instead I wore a bikini. I can look back now and laugh because I probably haven't been in a bikini since then, but that's a whole other blog post! I did make the front page of the Waco-Tribune Herald in my bikini-clad self. They were doing a story on the art department and I happened to be modeling that day. So, some day when my grand kids crawl up in my lap, I can whip out my headline worthy photograph and show them that at one time their grandma was HOT and was paid $4.25 an hour for being so! (okay, maybe not "hot", but sans stretch marks anyway!)

5. I was hit by a car as I walked across a road (a state highway!) when I was 7 years old.

The story: We lived in a small town in Montana (and I mean small). Our family was returning from having watched a movie about Jesus at the local school gymnasium. (no movie theater in that town --- but they did have several saloons!) Several people were crossing the highway in front of me ( a two lane highway). I swear I didn't see any traffic coming (it was dark and I didn't see any headlights), but the next thing I knew I was in my daddy's arms and he was crying. I came to and told him most definitely that I was "fine" and to put me down. Instead of taking me to a doctor (because there wasn't one), we went to the local veterinarian! Other than some major bruises and a huge goose egg on my head where I landed after flying through the air, I was fine. I was especially mad because I missed the pizza party we were on our way to. Life, death, and pizza. At least I had my priorities straight back then!

I knew from a very early age that God was watching out for me that night and have always known He had a special plan for me. I just didn't know that special plan included so much cleaning!

6. I am a tortilla "snob".

The scoop: Some people have to have brand name clothes or purses, I on the other hand, have to have non-mass produced tortillas. That is what living in Texas will do to you (you have not had "real" Mexican food unless you have eaten at a "hole-in-the-wall" that has menudo on the menu!) Seriously, have you tasted a tortilla, hot off the grill?!? Holey Moley --- nothing like it. Thanks to my mom who got me addicted to eating tortillas with butter on them with a little swig of Pepsi to go along, my fascination with good tortillas is going strong. Currently my favorite tortillas are at the Kroger grocery store near my house where they are hand made every day. Who needs Coach or other fancy designer labels when you have FRESH TORTILLAS?

Okay, well I think that is enough randomness for one day. Trust me I could write a book, but I will spare you anymore details.

Now, it is my turn to tag some blogging friends. I don't have many, so I will tag "the few, the proud":
1. Tracy over at Just the Sous Chef
2. Erin over at M&M's Mommy
3. Kesleigh over at Finding the Castles in all of the Chaos
4. Susan over at The Life of Lewister

All right ladies, it's your turn. Tag, your it! Here are the rules I was given:

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post these rules on the blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post. (if you have six people to tag!)
5. Let each person know they have been tagged.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job Heidi! My husband got his undergraduate degree from Baylor and we both grew up close to there. Small world! Oh, and I'm with you on the tortillas...amazing.